Chinese Tofu Recipe – Chinese Sausage Tofu Recipe
Tofu is a food originating in China and is made by coagulating soy milk. Tofu is low in calories, contains no saturated fat or cholesterol, and contains a fairly high amount of iron. Also, because tofu is made from soy milk, it is also rich in protein. Therefore, for those who watch weight, vegetarians, health conscious people and people with intolerance to dairy products, tofu is always your good food choice.
The tofu itself has very little taste or smell. So it can be used to cook with any dish or ingredient. However, also due to its mixed flavor, it is not easy to cook a nice and tasty tofu dish. To use tofu as the main ingredient in your dish, you would need to be able to make the flavor or essence of the secondary ingredients blend into the tofu.
There are many different types of tofu on the market. You have to choose the right tofu for the right dish. For example, soft tofu is suitable for soups, desserts, and steamed, and firm tofu is more suitable for sautéing or frying.
Here’s an easy-to-follow Chinese tofu recipe
• 2 Chinese sausages (available in the Asian market)
• 2 medium firm tofu cakes
• 1 spring onion, cut into 1-inch sections
• 1 red chili, thinly sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 0.8 cup of water
• 3 cups of cooking oil
• 1 teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
• Dash of monosodium glutamate
1. Put the Chinese sausage in a steamer, steam for 12 minutes. Cut them diagonally into thin slices.
2. Cut the tofu into 12 square pieces.
3. Heat the wok and cooking oil over medium heat. Fried tofu for 3 minutes until golden brown. Drain with paper towels and set aside.
4. Heat the wok and 1 teaspoon of cooking oil. Sauté the spring onion and red chili for about 2 minutes. Add salt, soy sauce, water, and fried tofu. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add the sausages and cornstarch mixture. Stir well until the sauce thickens.
6. Ready to serve